Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sable Falls Area Hike

Before leaving to drive down state for the birth of my first grandchild, I was doing a better job about getting out every day to hike and get some exercise.  I'm trying to get back in gear, starting today.  Thanks to Lois and Jamey for being willing to meet and go out for shorter hikes in addition to our weekly epics.  I've decided that I am going to make myself hike even when they cannot.

On one of the shorter hikes we met at the Sable Falls parking lot.  We went down the steps to the beach and then hiked back up the steps and into the dunes.

 
 The trilliums are in bloom.
 


Sable Falls...


Jamey noticed the steel head trout that were spawning.


The beach...





Before heading into the dunes we did walk toward Sable Visitor's center to check out the trilliums (which were not yet at peak).  We noticed this "pregnant" tree.


Sable River...


Spring has sprung on the forest floor.


Jamey has more energy than Lois and I.  He just motored up this huge dune.  We were happy to stay on the trail.


In the middle of the dunes we found this small growth of trees.  Most of the trees were damaged from a wind sheer.


From across the dunes we saw what we thought looked like a teepee. 


Dune views...




 
Sunset...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment