Monday, May 21, 2018

Porcupine Mountain Backpack--Post

I have not posted lately since I was backpacking the Porcupine Mountain State Park last week.  I have not backpacked for many, many years.  Plus, I did not get to train very much.  However, my friend, Helen Riley, and I had a great time!  We backpacked around 15 miles in three days.  That gave us time to relax at our campsites, which we were both happy to do.

I drove to Marquette the night before so Helen and I could get an early start driving to the Porkies.  Thanks to Jimmy for a great shrimp dinner!


Following Helen into the park.  We used two cars since our entry and exit points were on different trails.



The park staff neglected to tell us that the south boundary road was closed.  We had to drive all the way around the highway, which added quite a bit of time to our drive.


We hiked in the Pinkerton Trail.


With pack and camera I carried 42 pounds.








There are a lot of boardwalks which help you to get past the muck....


Bluff above the Little Carp River....



Heading down to the campsite....


Mouth of Little Carp on Lake Superior....


Late lunch....



Hill behind our campsite....









Dinner was salad with cooked chicken on top and rolls.  Helen did a great job organizing all the food!



The hook pole you use to hang your food was TOO short.  The first night I successfully hung a pack and bag (both with food) on the first try.  I was not so lucky the second night.


Fiddlehead ferns....




Main section of the Porkies....


Sunset the first night...





No comments:

Post a Comment