Thursday, February 6, 2020

Tucson Gem and Mineral Shows

Last week I attended the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show to buy things for the Gitche Gumee Museum's gift shop. I used to attend either the Tucson, Quartzite, or Denver show every year. I must admit, now I only go about every third year. The Tucson Show is actually over 40 shows all spread out around the city of Tucson. I only go to a few of the venues. It does not take long to spend your budget. Thanks to my friend, Karen Boaz for her hospitality and for driving us around the show sites.
 
I did not take many photos since I was so busy buying rocks, but here are a few.  The first venue we went to was the JOGS Show.
 

It is great to go the first day because you get first pick, but you have to stand in line to get in.



We were one of the first in to this large venue that has hundreds of dealers, so it was not yet crowded inside.


In Mexico they discovered a new banded onyx.  The photo below shows lamps made with this new as well as more traditional onyx.  I bought some lamps for the gift shop.


I cannot afford to buy these tables, but they are awesome!




I did buy several specimens of malachite, chryscholla, and azurite from the Congo.




My friend, Karen Boaz, pointing to a cool amethyst geode.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment