Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Early Winter in the Dunes

Although I have the inclination to work on the new agate book morning, noon, and night -- I've made myself hike a few days. I must admit, it is not everyday as it well should be.

We have had a few peeks at the sun, but this time of year the lake effect clouds, rain, and snow dominate the weather. Here are a few shots I took the other day when I hiked into the dunes from Sable Falls, in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Note the deer tracks. Hunting is allowed in the dunes, but you don't see many hunters up there. They cannot bring in their four wheelers, so if they get lucky and bag a deer, they have to carry it out. I loved the perfect circle -- caused by the swirling winds blowing the branch around.

We have had several mornings with snow on the ground. However, most of the time it has melted with warmer temperatures in the afternoon.

Happy December everyone!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. When do you expect the new agate book to be ready? Next summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to have the agate book ready by mid-May. The target specifications are 6" x 9", 200 pages, 200 photographs. Like the first agate book, the second will help readers to "think like an agate," so they can be more successful in understanding and finding them. The book will be expanded to include information about other agates--not primarily just Lake Superior agates. In fact I'm in the middle of surveying rock clubs from around the country for agate information from the different states. The survey information will be presented mostly via a table of facts, although I will feature some other agates via photographs. There will also be a separate chapter on agate genesis. Furthermore, I am working with a professional photographer who takes pictures of rocks like no one else. We'll even have a reprint order form right in the book.

    Thanks for asking.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete