Thursday, July 21, 2011

Agates, Kayaks, and more

Today's photo postings will include a few different things. First, local resident Cathy Goulet is at it again with her great agate finds. Last week she found a 1 1/3 pounder rolling up and down the beach in the waves mixed in with pea-sized gravel. I have always told people that if they want to find big agates they have to look in the big rocks. Since she found it with small sized rocks, this specimen is an exception. It is a complex agate with water level banding on the bottom and swirly fortification on top. The agate has a lot of surface fractures so it has been rolling around in the lake and subjected to winter's ice for quite some time.





Here are a few more, but not all, of the agates she has found in the Grand Marais area.


Rebecca Reed from Kalamazoo, MI came by the museum with a very unusual rock. It is translucent and does have a waxy luster, but I have never seen anything like it. It appears to be an usual eye agate. Do any of you have another opinion? Has anyone else ever seen a specimen like this? She found it near the Iroquois Lighthouse.




While I was at Moose Lake, the annual kayak symposium took place in Grand Marais. Before I left town, I snapped a couple of shots of one of the classes taking place in the bay.




I received an email the other day from someone who saw the "beach art" photo I posted on the blog a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure what it was, but they clarified it for me. The parents built this "cage" for their child's toy mice.


Last night a cold front moved north of Grand Marais over Lake Superior. The lightning was fabulous. I used a tripod and tried to capture the lightning show without a whole lot of success. Only one picture came out.

1 comment:

  1. hi karen, i am another agate adorer. i was wondering if the agate above could be a tube agate. are the eyes similar on both sides? how about lines on the sides.
    i have many bizarre agates,found throughout my life, many of which contain 2 or more specific agate types. they never cease to amaze me and each one i find is a gift,from God, mother earth,the agate master in the universe, which ever... gotta love them!!

    ReplyDelete