Monday, October 17, 2011

Early Morning Dune Hike

NOTICE:  The owners of the Rock Shoppe in Plymouth, MI emailed me the other day.  I am returning to their facility to conduct a Gitche Gumee Gathering.  The event will be held on October 25th at 5:30 p.m.  I will for sure be doing the power point presentation to teach people about agates.  Depending on the desires of attendees, I may also conduct other programs.  I will also have some of my mineral art available for sale as well as my agate book.  The facility is located at  6275 Gotfredson Road, Plymouth, MI 48170.  For more information about the Rock Shoppe go to their web page http://www.rock-shoppe.com/ or call them at 734-455-5560 for more information about the Gitche Gumee Gathering program.  The event is open to the public.


This low pressure system has been swirling in the Lake Superior region for a few days. However, yesterday morning we had an hour or so of blue sky before the lake effect machine cranked up again to generate clouds and rain. Although it was a bit breezy, the winds had calmed down considerably with sustains speeds 10-20 mph. Last night and this morning, we are again having gusts near 50 mph with considerable lake effect rain. I won't be hiking today, unfortunately.

The high winds this past few days have done some carving in the dunes.  Notice the horizontal ridges in the picture below.



Friend, Jill, and I bushwhacked up into the dunes from the Masse Homestead Trail and then hiked straight north to the bluff of the Grand Sable Dunes.  Here is a shot looking east.  What a beautiful gem of a morning it was.



Here are typical and repetitive shots looking west.  Although I take some of the same pictures over and over -- each set of circumstances are different for each shot.  The sun angle, wave heights, foliage color, etc. change each time.  Plus, since I have to take pictures for the blog (which I love doing), I have to document the subject matter at hand.





We came across yet another telegraph pole left over from 100 years ago.  You can see two notches that held the wires on the bottom right side of the pole.



I had to capture the unusual carnelian cloud bottoms overlooking Grand Marais.



No comments:

Post a Comment