Thursday, January 30, 2014

Grand Canyon -- Post 2

After I dropped Helen off at the Phoenix airport, I decided to drive back up to the Grand Canyon.  When you enter the park, the $25 pass you purchase is good for seven days.  I had two days left on the pass.  Since the geology center opened on the south rim, I have never made time to visit it.  I have always been with friends who were not interested, or we simply did not have time.  Also, I wanted to take photos for use in developing the next online rockhounding class.  I took many hundreds of photos, but in this posting I will include just a few.

When I arrived back at the Grand Canyon, the weather forecast was for single digit temperatures, so I decided to get one of the efficiency rooms at the Bright Angel Lodge.



The geology center sits right on the rim....


Evening shadows in the canyon at sunset....



It has been many, many years since I drove the west rim road.  During parts of the year, the road is not open to private vehicles.  From some of the view points, you get a tremendous view of the Bright Angel Trail.
 


Notice the change in color as the trail passes through different Grand Canyon layers.






Mount Humphreys from the Grand Canyon.



The Colorado River...


Sunset....
 


Some final photos....





No comments:

Post a Comment