Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Quartzsite Show and Desert Hike

It did not take long for me to go over budget buying minerals at the Quartzsite show, especially since my budget is significantly lower this year.  The good news is that I was able to buy some more Polychrome Jasper.  Although my supplier is out if it at their warehouse, they had shipped some containers directly from Madagascar to both Quartzsite and Tucson.  It was great to hand pick the specimens.  I am excited about what I was able to secure for the museum's gift shop, especially since I have several new items.  Hopefully sales will pick up in 2014 better than they have been for the past three years.

I did not make time to take many photos at Quartzsite, but here are a few....

A few Argentina agates from my friend, Ana's booth. Thanks, Ana, for the great visit and for the early birthday balloon and card!


How would you like to carve this out of stone (I think calcite)?
 

There was a lot of petrified wood and amethyst for sale.


 I hooked up with friends, Gerald and Jill, west of Phoenix.  Thanks to them I was able to camp in my car at their camp site.  Plus they took my out for an early birthday lunch.  Yesterday we hiked at a local county park and enjoyed the sun, geology, wild life, and a good hike.


The desert tortoise was chowing down.


The rattlesnake was coiled and seemingly bored.
 


 A roadrunner passed in front of us.


The trail head...


Cacti, of course, were everywhere.
 




There were also outcroppings of quartz all over the foothill.
 





As it warmed up, the lizzards joined us along the trail.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment