Monday, June 2, 2014

More Late Spring Lake Superior Ice

Today I will post the last photos that I took the other day when returning to Grand Marais from Munising.  Lois, Jamey, and I took Adams trail on the way to Munising and H58 on the way back.  Since we could see ice on the horizon from Munising Bay, we wanted to drive into the access points in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to see how much ice there was.

I did not get a chance yesterday to drive and take pictures of June ice on Lake Superior, but I did capture the NOAA map.  According to NOAA, there was still 2.1 percent ice cover.


Here are pictures I took at Miners Castle last Thursday.






Looking toward Grand Island....


Looking east....









Interpretive signs....





Miners Beach....



Sullivan's Landing overlook (between Twelve Mile Beach and the Hurricane River) in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.


The following photo was taken on Thursday...


...the next photo was taken on Sunday.  You cannot see the ice in the photo, but there is some ice on the horizon blown by the strong south winds.
 

I also stopped at the Log Slide to see if there was any ice.  Half way down the Grand Sable Banks some ice accumulated.
 


In the cove on the way to Au Sable Point there was a bit of ice...



Au Sable lighthouse...


No comments:

Post a Comment