Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Presque Isle Deer and more

After the Wisconsin trip, I had a short turnaround to prepare for Starry, Starry Night (Grand Marais' Black Friday shopping event), before I headed to the Keewenaw for Thanksgiving.  Thanks to my son's in-laws for allowing me to participate in the festivities.

At the end of the Wisconsin trip, I stayed with friends in Marquette before speaking at the Ishpeming rock club meeting.  Thanks to Jimmy and Helen for your incredible hospitality.  Also, thanks to Helen for the play on Saturday night, and for the hike we had on Presque Isle.  We went on the hike for exercise, but also to check out the erosion from recent wind events.  There was considerable erosion.



In October during the "big storm," the island was closed to all traffic.  Some people walked around the barriers to check out the waves.  Unfortunately, several people got too close and were swept off the rocks.  Two didn't make it.  I'm not sure where on the black rocks they were, but here is the general area.





The ice along the shoreline was coating everything.




During the hike we saw a huge buck as well as a smaller doe.










For the most part my traveling is done for the winter.  I have started the research on my next book, which will be the second in the Rocks through Time series.  This one will be about the geologic history of the Great Lakes and will describe how the lakes formed.  I still have to do a web page update and make some custom mineral art, but work on the book will ramp up soon.  I am excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment