Sunday, October 25, 2020

South Dakota Rocks Purchased from a Closed Rock Shop

While in South Dakota, my friend, Sharon, received a phone call from one of her friends, Ed, who I also know.  Ed asked Sharon to hand her phone to me.  He then proceeded to tell me about a decades old rock shop that went out of business last year.  I met with one of the co-owners, Bill, to survey the inventory for sale.  There were huge petrified wood sculptures, piles of rough minerals for sale in the five acre yard, a museum, and a rock shop.  Everything was for sale.  We ran out of daylight after the scheduled appointment, so Sharon and I went back a few days later.  It was a tight squeeze to pack everything in my car, but I am glad I did.

One of the boxes of minerals I purchased was filled with Royal Aztec agate from Durango, Mexico.  This material was mined many decades ago.  The blue/purple color is awesome.  The first photo below is the specimen I am keeping.




Satin spar....

Sharon bought a bunch of Mexican Laguna agate.  I traded a piece of the Royal Aztec for the following double chamber Laguna agate slab.

Wonderstone Jasper from Utah....

Old stock Mexican Crazy Lace agate...

Bumble gum/Indian Eye agate from South Dakota.....

I bought 125 pounds of whole Brazilian agate nodules....

Septarian slabs from Utah...

Arizona petrified wood slabs, polished on one side.....

I did buy two Fairburn agates from Bill's museum.  The top one is polished; the bottom is rough.  Yes, they were expensive, but you do not get a chance very often to buy old stock Fairburns.

Prairie agates from South Dakota....

More bubble gum/Indian eye agates, some polished.....



No comments:

Post a Comment