Sunday, January 2, 2022

Catching up: Agatelady Rock Shop Update

My youngest son pointed out over Christmas that I have not posted on this blog since October. I will admit that I have been focused on other things. As you know, I have begun the transition between the Gitche Gumee Museum and the Agatelady Rock Shop. Due to it taking a year to find a contractor to remodel the outbuilding next to my house, the museum will be open with my "semi-retirement" hours until the end of August this year (see www.agatelady.com for more information).  I have not decided whether I will accept private appointments the first week of September (prior to and during the Grand Marais Rock and Mineral Show that will take place September 10-11, 2022), but I will not accommodate private appointments after September 11th because I will be transferring the rock collection and gift shop inventory out of the museum building to my house and new rock shop location in the outbuilding next to my house. The Agatelady Rock Shop will have its grand opening on June 1, 2023. Since I am sure I will be putting the finishing touches on setting up the new rock shop, I will not be able to accept private appointments in the spring prior to the grand opening.

I have had significant progress on the transition this fall. Because I will be going from four buildings down to two, my first task was getting rid of anything I can. I began by cleaning out my garage. I have lived in my house for 20 years, but I have never had or taken the time to clear out left overs from the previous owners, as well as some of my own junk. The process began last year during the township's clean up days when I cleared out two partial Suburban loads. This fall I loaded and took two very full car loads to the landfill. Including the metal, which was recycled, this fall according to the landfill's scale I unloaded nearly 2,000 pounds! Here is a picture of one of the car loads.

Two other significant improvements to prepare for the new rock shop have been implemented. Last spring I had much needed new windows put into the rock shop building. In October, I also had a new parking lot put in. In addition the contractor cleared trees from around the rock shop building. In the spring concrete will be added around the building. Another contractor will also remodel the building including constructing a connected storage shed on the northeast side of the building, constructing a vaulted toilet addition on the northwest side of the building, removing and replacing the current people doors, removing the current large horizontally-sliding barn door and replacing it with structure. This structure will include benches, both on the inside and outside, and a bank of glass bricks. I will hang agate windows on the inside of the glass bricks. Both benches will include storage under the seats. On the inside we will install insulation, interior walls, and a drop ceiling. Then I get to design all the display areas and acquire needed shelving. All the shelving in the middle will be on rollers so I can move them to the sides. On the north wall there will be room for a screen to lower from the ceiling. Chairs will be stored in the inside benches and will be used for lectures and private events. More about these options will be announced in the future. Pictures of the new parking lot were published on October 10, 2021. Before and after photos are also included below. The rock shop is the building on the left.


After cleaning out the garage and adjoining wood shed, I moved the usable wood and other items from the rock shop building. At least 95 percent of things from the rock shop building have been removed. The items remaining will either be used in the rock shop, or will be removed in the spring before the contractor begins his work. Two photos of my cleaned out garage are below.


Inside my house I have cleared nearly everything out of a small room that was originally built as a photo processing dark room and used by me for storage. This space will house my rock collection. My art studio, which is a large room at the back of my house, has been reorganized to be more efficient and also include a sleeping nook for grand kids or other guests. I still have to clean out some drawers, cabinets, and two closets, but I am well on the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment