Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Winter Beach -- Post 1

Yesterday I decided to put on layers and brave the ferocious winter beach.  Winds were fierce with a chill factor below zero.  The 8-10 foot waves were breaking up the ice resulting in floating ice chunks everywhere.  I am hoping that as the wind dies down, that the ice chunks will be accreted back onto the ice mounds.

I parked at First Creek and walked down the steps.


Then I walked east away from the wind. 


The waves carved neat natural ice sculptures.




Here is a close up of some of the waves.


A shot looking west....




2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos today. I hope those big waves are bringing in some nice agates! I so want to get up there this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved Michigan in the winter. Your pictures of the ice waves are great. I especially enjoy being able to see the shores of the Great Lake thru your eyes and camera. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete