Monday, November 4, 2013

Log Slide Area Hike

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day with temperatures in the upper 40s.  I decided to hike from the Log Side west down to the area below the foot bridge that I call Jacobsville Beach.  This is a red sandstone formation, marked with light-colored streaks and spots, primarily found in northern Upper Michigan, portions of Ontario, and under much of Lake Superior. Desired for its durability and aesthetics, the sandstone was used as an architectural building stone both locally and around the United States. The stone was extracted by thirty-two quarries throughout the Upper Peninsula approximately between 1870 and 1915.  The beach is around a mile and a half west of the Log Slide. 

Come along on the hike with me....


Burl on a tree...




Before heading down the trail, I checked out the view from the observation platform...





The sun was going down, so I decided I had better get going....








After carefully climbing down what we call "the hill that never ends," I arrived at the foot bridge and climbed down to the beach.









This is a weird view of Coast Guard Point in Grand Marais, with the shoreline east of town in the background.




Time to go -- back up to the trail...



Almost back ...


No comments:

Post a Comment