Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sucker River Hike and History Book Update

The sun was out yesterday with temperatures in the mid-40s so exercise partner, Lois Fite, and I discussed where we could hike in the sun.  We decided to park at the end of Cemetery Road and hike the beach toward town.  We walked along the Sucker River.  It was beautiful!

Before I get to the photos -- an update on the history book.  I am now around 65 percent done with the first draft and have completed page 146.  It is cool that I am now up to the 1880s when Grand Marais is starting to grow as a town.  Since the book is going beyond just Grand Marais, I have decided to change the title.  I was going to call the book "At the End of the Road."  However, since so much of the book happens before M77was  built in 1919, the title must change to properly reflect the book's content.  I have been asking for suggesting from others and have received many good ideas.  My current working favorite is "Superiorland," which was suggested by one of the owners at Fox River Auto yesterday, where I went to get a couple of things fixed on my car.  What do you think?

Now for the photos...Lois checking out the river...


Looking up river...


Others also checking out the river and ice...


Looking down river toward its mouth...

 
River mouth....the flow has broken through the shore ice.



Outer harbor light....

 




Looking east....


The moon was awesome last night!  The stars were also just popping through the blackness of space!



No comments:

Post a Comment