Friday, May 20, 2016

Porcupine Mountain Hiking -- Last Post

I am still trying to catch up with posting photographs taken last week.  Today the last pictures from the Porcupine Mountains are included.

First, in response to requests for information, I will report on the progress of the history book.  Most of the review copies have been returned, or are in the mail.  Once I receive all of the comments, I will incorporate the changes.  Thanks to all of the reviewers for your help!  Yesterday, I finished laying out the first 30 pages in the new publishing software.  I sent a PDF file to the printer to make sure that it is compatible with their software.  Since I refuse to purchase a subscription from Adobe for the industry favorite, Indesign, I instead am hoping to use Scribus, which is a free shareware alternative.  Given that I have to work on the museum next week to prepare for opening on May 29th (Sunday of Memorial Day weekend), I probably won't be able to get the book to the printer until mid-June.  I have yet to find out how long the printing process will take, but I am hoping to have the book ready for sale by August.

QUESTION FOR YOU:  I am having difficulty finalizing the book's title.  The first part of the title will be "Superior Land."  However, I want to have a qualifier stating that the focus of the book is on Grand Marais, MI.  Since I include information in the first half of the book about:  how Native Americans arrived in North America and when they migrated to the Upper Peninsula; how Native Americans evolved their culture to survive living in the U.P., including on Grand Island (the nearest full time Native village to Grand Marais); what happened after Europeans arrived including their interactions with Natives, exploration of the Great Lakes region, including Lake Superior; the development of fur trading, mining, and logging.  There are many references in the first half of the book about Grand Marais and how it was used as a harbor of refuge.  The second half of the book does focus on Grand Marais and describes what happened in the area after the first inhabitants opened a trading post in 1861, the logging boom era, and events and changes that have taken place since the boom.

The current subtitle for the book is:  "The Story of Grand Marais, Michigan."  This title does not encompass the first half of the book.  One option is to eliminate the first half of the book, but I do not want to do this.  Most, but not all, of the reviewers want me to leave the first half of the book intact.  They like the background history.  I, of course, agree.  Given that the book covers more than just Grand Marais history, I would like the title to reflect this broader perspective.  DO YOU HAVE ANY TITLE SUGGESTIONS?  I would like the concept of the title to be:

Superior Land:  How Grand Marais, Michigan Came to Be

or

Superior Land:  The History of the South Shore 
from the Perspective of Grand Marais, Michigan 

These titles are not it, but they give you the target concept.  Any suggestions, whether following this concept or not, would be appreciated.  If you have any ideas, please respond to this posting below or send me an email to karen@agatelady.com.  If I use your idea for the subtitle, you will receive a free copy of the book.  She does not know it yet, but the person who suggested Superior Land  will also receive a free copy.

Now for the photos....

More photos of the cabin we rented...



The creek next to the cabin babbled around 100 feet away....







One of the bridges nearby....




The cabin and the cleaner than average, high tech outhouse....


Evening fire....


On the third day of hiking we went a mile up the Government Peak trail and took the 2.7 mile Overlook Trail hike.  There was a tough hill we had to climb up to the first overlook, but it was nothing like the hill we had to descend after the second overlook.  This was a tough and challenging hike that took a lot longer than we expected!




Snack spot....


From my previous post, someone identified the wildflower below as Dutchman's Breeches.




Natural spring...


Thanks to Helen Riley for a great three days in the Porkies!

No comments:

Post a Comment