Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Hike

Friends John and Kim and I hiked the Chapel Loop yesterday. Usually when I hike the "triangle," located in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore west of Grand Marais, I've walked counterclockwise first to Chapel Falls. Instead, we hiked to Mosquito Beach first. I enjoyed going the clockwise direction on this 9 mile hike since we ended on the flatter section through the woods. Plus, as a reward for a good day of hiking, we were greeted with the spectacular Chapel Falls, which I didn't get a picture of since the falls were quite shaded. For a Monday hike, even with the holiday weekend, I was surprised how many people we saw on the trail. We probably passed 50 people in all. But it was sunny and in the 60s, and while hiking, the bugs were not a problem. Along the bluff, even when you stopped to take in the view or rest, the bugs were also not a problem. However, if you halted while in the woods, the pesky little black flies found you. All in all, it was a terrific day and a great holiday weekend. Now back to work......












No comments:

Post a Comment