Monday, April 6, 2015

Hawaii Photos -- Post 1

I guess that I am not surprised that after all my travelling I came down with a flu.  My fever is a bit less today so I am trying to get some things done.

Thanks to the generosity of friends and friends of friends, I was able to go to Hawaii for the second time.  Thanks to Sharon Smith for making all the reservations, and for Steve and Dorothy Moon for letting us stay in their guest yurt.  I took over 1,500 photos in total so I certainly will not share all of them.  One of my future projects is to write a book on Hawaiian geology.  After visiting the Big Island for the first time, I am even more excited about this project.  Over the next few days, I'll share a few of the pictures.

Due to the young age of the Hawaiian islands, there are not a lot of beaches, especially on the Big Island.  One beach that we visited is the Black Sand Beach.



The sea turtles climb up onto the sand to rest.



The photo below shows the steam generated from the active lava that flows into the ocean.


One of the side cones on Kilauea has active steam.


Our friends have lived in Hawaii for three years and have never seen the top of the two large volcanoes.  We drove up Mauna Kea and were able to see Mauna Loa.  It was very exciting, although the last eight miles of the drive were challenging!



Yes there was snow up on top.


There are several telescopes on top of Mauna Kea, operated by 11 different countries.


Sharon had an altimeter application on her phone.



The white behind the telescope is the cloud layer located around 4,000 feet below us.


Sharon, Steve, and me.



No comments:

Post a Comment