Thursday, February 3, 2022

Snowmobile groomer

Yesterday I skied the national park trails with friend, Sharon. The day before temperatures were near 40 degrees in Grand Marais. While we were skiing, temps were in the mid teens, so everything refroze causing icy, but somewhat rough conditions. It was still a great ski.  For my age I am in pretty good shape, but no where near where I want to be. We are increasing the lengths of our skis, plus I have now started to do stretching, weight/band training, and slim cycle at home. I don't know if it is "now or never" to get back into great shape, but I am going for it this winter.

I did not take many photos yesterday. While I was waiting for Sharon, the snowmobile groomer came by allowing me to get a couple of photos.

I believe we have either three or four grooming machines in Grand Marais. The equipment includes a lead tractor with a front end plow and a drag.

Driver, Jack Hubbard, is accompanied by a friend.

Yesterday we skied both trails A and B.

Sharon has the app on her phone that records our route and the distance. The original maps installed by the national park claimed each of these trails are two miles long. Sharon's app says we skied just under three miles. Since the app is calibrated for hiking (not for cross country skiing), I am thinking the actual mileage is somewhere in between. I also am not sure why the app says we did three loops when we actually skied two. Maybe the app counts the parking lot to the beginning of the trail system as a separate loop. FYI, the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore trails in Grand Marais are located on H58 across from the visitor's center, a half mile east of Sable Lake. In total there are six trails for a total of around ten miles.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment