Monday, May 23, 2011

North Country Trail Hike etc.

Yesterday was a weird weather day.  We had a short thunderstorm roll through in the afternoon just as I was opening the museum at 2:00 p.m.  Then the sun came out.  It was also warm  with temperatures in the 70s -- and very humid.

The hike yesterday started at the bridge in the school forest.  I walked northeast on the North Country Trail to the Lake Superior shoreline, and then back the road.  The round-trip hike was around six miles.  Although it was beautiful with a lot of blooming trees, the bugs were out in force for the first time this year.  I was forced to put on my "official bug shirt."  If you don't have one of these and if you hate the bugs like I do, you might want to buy one from their website http://www.bugshirt.com/

Anyway -- the hike started just north of the bridge in the school forest.

I don't have time right now to research information about the north country trail.  Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.


The trail is easy to follow with blue marks on the trees to show the way.

At first it follows the Sucker River.

In the last day the leaves have exploded on the trees.

When we left the river, the hike proceeded through lichen pine forests in what appears to be an old dunal community.

On the road I spotted this baby snake.

Everything was in bloom!

The lakeshore was calm after the storm passed through.


From town you could see the fog rolling in.


While working the museum, I spotted this robin taking a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment