Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sea Planes, Motorcycles, and More

Yesterday was an extremely busy day in Grand Marais. Since I played golf on Friday, yesterday I had to take advantage of our township's clean up days. With all the house, garage, and museum cleaning this past few months -- I had a lot of things to haul. In my opinion this annual two-day clean up event is the best thing our township does for us. The nearest garbage pit/transfer station is 60 miles away. Since I hauled six car loads yesterday, the township saved me the approximate $360 that it would have cost me to make repeated trips to Munising.

The Grand Marais Historical Society also had their annual giant yard sale. Since I was busy hauling, I didn't get a chance to get over there.

Yesterday was also the annual Splash In. This is an event spearheaded by local resident, Ed Bowen. Although more planes showed up yesterday than any previous year, the weather did not cooperate. It was sunny and a bit cool, but with east north east winds, the bay was too wavy for the planes to fully compete in all their events. The colorful planes lined up on the beach in our bay is an interesting site.






Yesterday was also the annual Rendezvous Motorcycle Rally in Blaney Park, which is located around 50 miles south of Grand Marais. Many of those attending that event took advantage of being so close to the newly paved H58 between Grand Marais and Munising -- and went for a ride, stopping in Grand Marais for lunch.



I have a couple of new products for sale in the museum's gift shop this year.  The first are ornaments that consist of a large agate slab mounted to 1/2 inch copper tubing.  I have different lengths to accommodate gardens as well as flower pots.  Prices range from $14 to $24.  Not pictured are new hat/lapel/tie pins that are small agates glued onto clasps.


A couple came by the museum yesterday with purchased agates from the Keweenaw Peninsula.  They are the paintstone variety typically found in the mineral rich area.

No comments:

Post a Comment