Friday, September 19, 2014

Sable Falls and Dune Erosion

Yesterday I decided to start my new exercise routine, despite my shoulder issue.  I met up with my friend, Lois Fite, and we headed to the Sable Falls steps.  Up and down we went.

The top of the falls....


View from the first main platform....


View from the bottom platform....


The fall colors are developing....


The erosion along the river is intensifying....


Due to the erosion, a section of the dunes has been closed off to hikers.


On our last time up and down the steps, we went all the way to the beach.  We were totally surprised that most of the beach is no longer there.  The storm we had a week and a half ago took away most of the beach.  I am not even sure there is enough beach to walk east to Grand Marais.  Amazing.


There is a bit more sand to the west....

 
The mouth of Sable River.



The series of photos below documents the extent of erosion of the cliff located to the west of the mouth of Sable River.

May 2013...

June 2013....

November 2013....

June 2014....

September 2014....

No comments:

Post a Comment