Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Hoosier National Forest Adventure -- Post 1

After visiting with my kids and their families, I spent a day with my uncle, aunt, and cousin and then picked up my sister and headed to southern Indiana.  This is the 17th straight fall that my sister, Diana, and I have gone on adventures.  All of the other years we traveled in the Upper Peninsula.  However, since my sister had to continue after our time together to Nashville, we decided to visit a new area.  We rented a house in Shoals, Indiana and then went on day trips from there.  Most of our time was spent at various sites in the Hoosier National Forest.

But first we stopped and had lunch at the Morgan Monroe State Forest.




Farms and equipment are everywhere in this part of the state.


On the first morning we decided to go to Bluesprings Cavern.  There is a sink hole on the property with a nature path.  We, of course, had to check it out.




A sink hole forms when acid rain dissolves limestone rock underground, hollowing out a "cavity."  Then, as the erosion continues, the ceiling of the cavity falls in creating a sink hole.


At the bottom of the sink hole there was an opening to a karst cave.  We did not try to enter.


It is difficult to tell but the bottom of this sink hole is around 40 or 50 feet deep.  The sink hole is around 15 acres in size.


1 comment: