Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Porcupine Mountain Hiking -- Post 1

After my Minnesota trip where I had my first show of the year, I met up with my friend, Helen (Olli) Riley at the Porcupine Mountains.  We rented one of the park's cabins, but could not pick up the permit until 3:00 p.m., so we hiked all day prior to going over to the park headquarters. 

Helen and me at the trail head.....




Every once in a while we came across a bench.  This first one was situated along a little creek.




 In total we saw ten different species of wild flowers.  Does anyone know what the following flower is?


The tree below was a woodpecker's restaurant....





It is hard to tell from a photograph, but in the picture below  the forest floor is covered with wild flowers.





Despite temperatures in the 60s, there were still some patches of snow.





I did not take a photo of the Lily Pond cabin, but this is where we took our lunch break.


Beaver dam...


We had lunch on the bridge/dock....


Lilly Pond....


Beaver house....


2 comments: