Sunday, February 23, 2014

More Microscope Photos of Agates

Yesterday I finally started moving things out of my living room in preparation of tearing up my old carpeting and installing a new laminate flooring.  It will be quite the project, but I am up for the challenge.  I have done some research on how to install a floating laminate floor -- and will do more before I start the actual installation -- but if any of you blog followers have any advice, please send me an email to karen@agatelady.com.

While re-organizing and cleaning my art studio the other day, I came across a bag of agates that I assembled from sorting various rock collections that I have purchased the past few years.  So for today's blog posting, I could not resist the urge to pull out my USB microscope camera to document some of the awesome detail.  All of these agates are rough, non polished.

The first is a Lake Superior agate (three photos).  Notice the reflective waxy luster, yellow limonite coating, some red color, and the botryoidal grape-agate formation.




Nice banding is exhibited in these Lake Superior agates....
 




 The next photo shows intricate banding in a Botswana agate....


Another Lake Superior agate...


The next four photos, two each of two Lake Superior agates, show tube formations.





Lake Superior jasper agate...
 

Another Lake Superior tube agate...



Two more nicely banded Lake Superior agates...
 


The last photo is a Brazilian agate.



No comments:

Post a Comment