Thursday, February 28, 2013

Frozen Waterfalls Snowshoe -- Post 2

Today I'll post the second half of the photos from the snowshoe that friends and I took up Carpenter Creek.  The icicles were up to 15 feet tall and were located all around the rock grotto at the end of the gorge.  Later in the winter when the snow is not quite as deep, we are going to go back and walk up the creek to get a view from the lower level.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When we headed back up to the top of the bluff, I spotted this ivy growing on a tree. 
 
 
We often see snow droop off tree branches.  I'm not sure I've seen one as long as the one shown below.
 
 
Jamey stuck his pole in front of the snow droop for size reference.
 
 
We walked back the road.  As we arrived at the top of the hill on Airport Road, I took the photo below to show the snow in the channel, the ice piled on the west break wall, and floating ice on the horizon.
 
 

 
Then we spotted the eagle that was flying over the bay.  I wonder if some of the ice fishermen bribe the eagle to stick around.
 
 
Last night I decided to document the near full moon and the icicles hanging from the roof of
my back sun porch.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment