Thursday, September 22, 2011

Muskallonge State Park's Rock On Agate Show -- Post 1

Last weekend was the 4th annual Rock On for Lake Superior Agates show at Muskallonge State Park, located 20 miles east of Grand Marais. I was not able to go last year since I had to be in Ann Arbor, so it was good to be back again. This year the event expanded to a two-day format. Many of the people who attended on Sunday said they were happy with the expansion since they have to work on Saturday's and have not been able to attend in the past. The event is working well for the state park, too, since they filled up all the campsites with mostly agate enthusiasts! I exhibit at several mineral shows, but I must admit that at no other do I see the quantity of agates. I do believe that a lot of agate enthusiasts live in the eastern UP. The weather was chilly but the rain and winds stayed away. A good time was had by all. I would like to thank the staff at Muskallonge for a job well done. A special thanks is extended for the dinner you served us dealers on Saturday night.


Terry, Dean, and their friends again brought their lapidary equipment.  All weekend long they cut and face polished people's agates.  Although there was no charge, they do ask for donations to help cover the wear and tear on the equipment.  For face polishing, two work side by side on the monster 8" titan arbor.


Dean has a home-made set up with several different saws and work stations.



Here are some of the park staff standing behind the silent auction table.




I did not get much of a chance to walk around since I was either in my booth all weekend, or giving my agate presentation.  But I took a few seconds to snap off some pictures.



Michael Pung from Midwest City, Oklahoma came a long way to demonstrate his gold extracting machine.



There were several dozen dealers in all selling agates (of course), jewelry, gold prospecting equipment, and mineral art.



Park staff and the campground host held kid's events all day long -- both days!  Pictured below are the kids searching for agates in the sand pit.



No comments:

Post a Comment