Friday, April 20, 2012

Log Slide Area Hike

We were supposed to wake up this morning with two inches of snow. It did not happen here, but other places received some snow and certainly some mixed precipitation. In fact I just heard on the news that the Mackinac Bridge is closed this morning because ice is falling from the bridge's cables onto the roadway.

Last evening I did get out for a hike. I drove to the Log Slide and headed east down the old trail into the dunes.


First, before I left my house a flock of robins were feeding on my front lawn.



Once at the Log Slide, I headed east down the original trail that follows the bluff into the Grand Sable Dunes.




After around a quarter mile the trail opens up into the dunes.



This looks like a tame shot, but it is actually more dramatic than it looks.  I am standing on the edge of the bluff overlooking Lake Superior and pointing my camera straight down.  The lake is around 300 feet below.


Looking east......


Looking back west from the same spot....


An interesting piece of drift wood laying by itself up in the dunes.  Some of this ancient wood uncovered by blowing sand is many thousands of years old.  I don't know how old this piece is, but I think it is quite photogenic.



Patterns in the sand...


A different view looking east...


Another west view...


Spring has sprung....


A shot looking into the middle section of the dunes....

No comments:

Post a Comment