Saturday, April 21, 2012

More Log Slide Area Photos

Today I will post the second half of the photos I took the other night during my evening hike in the Log Slide area of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

When I headed away from the Lake Superior shoreline to the south side of the Grand Sable Dunes, I spotted this 100 year old telegraph pole.  It is still vertical, but is mostly buried.  Only the top 3 or 4 feet of the pole is showing.


A bizarre burl.....


I headed down the dune, into the woods, and headed south to find the Masse Homestead trail.  When I looked off to my left, I spotted this huge downed tree.  In the photo below you can see my hiking poles propped on the left side.  At its base, this tree was around five feet in diameter.


These are photos of the "communities" growing on the downed grandfather tree.



Then I continued hiking to the Log Slide.  As I approached the viewing platform, I spotted this huge eagle in a tree just to the left of the platform.  By the time I turned my camera on, he was already flying away.


Views from the platform...



The eagle came back around....



Here is a photo of the sunset from my front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment