Saturday, March 16, 2013

Winter Scenes

I'll just implement a quick post today with just a few pictures from two cross country skies.

At noon we skied the beach.  Here are a couple more photos of the channel lighthouse.


 
 
While skiing in the evening, I couldn't resist capturing the low-angle sunlight coming through the trees.
 
 
 
The warm temperatures we've had as well as the rain last weekend condensed the snow some.  The national park has a snow depth gage in a somewhat protected area near the groomed trail.  At this spot the snow is 22 inches deep.  Believe me, though, there are lots of areas in Grand Marais where the snow is a lot deeper.  Last year at this time temps were in the 70s and 80s and all the snow melted quickly.  That is not the case this year.  So for all you agate hunters chomping at the bit to hit the spring beach -- you'll have to wait a bit longer this year.
 
 
I couldn't decide between two pictures of my friend, Sandee -- so I included them both.
 
 
 
Penny, who lives east of town, skied with us for the first time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment