Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Twelve Mile Beach Camping

Last night after closing the museum I headed out to Twelve Mile Beach in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore to go camping with friends from Ann Arbor.

On the way out, I stopped at the Log Slide.  We had the fourth summer storm with HUGE waves again yesterday.  The relentless waves have eaten away more beach.  The former beach is not suspended in water off shore, going out hundreds of feet.




The picture below shows how the walkable beach no longer is along the Grand Sable Banks.

 
 

There is evidence of wind damage everywhere.


 
When I was walking back to the car, I caught this chipmunk filling his cheeks.




Thanks to Marsha, Steph, Jan, Jim, Denise, and Bill for feeding me.




We were all thankful for the incredible sunset.  I am hiking with this group tomorrow and am heading out to camp again tonight, since we are leaving for the hike very early.  I won't be able to post a blog update tomorrow, so I'll just include extra photos today.   As is sometimes the case, I can't decide which pictures I like the best so I'm including all the sunset photos.  The colors are all natural and not Photoshoped.


















This morning a Downy Woodpecker joined us right next to where we were having coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment