Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crossing the Mackinac Bridge

After travelling for a week and a half I am finally home.  I am caught up posting all my photos other than a few I took while crossing the Mackinac Bridge yesterday.  Thanks to Steve, Joan, Marsha, Jonathan and Jessica Brzys, and Lynnette for putting me up during my travels.  I had a great trip but I am glad to be home.









The world's longest suspension bridges are listed according to the length of their main span (i.e. the length of suspended roadway between the bridge's towers).  The Mackinac Bridge is the 16th longest main span bridge in the world at 3,799 feet (1,158 m).  The longest main span suspension bridge in the world is the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge located in located in Japan.  The main span is 6,532 feet (1,991m). 

According to the Mackinac Bridge authority, in terms of total bridge length (not just between the towers), the Mackinac Bridge is currently the fifth longest suspension bridge in the world. The Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere. The total length of the Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet.

CITE:
http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment