Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th Celebration

I hope that everyone in the U.S. had a great July 4th celebration. The weather here in Grand Marais was perfect during most of the day with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s. By late afternoon, clouds starting rolling in. We had a few rain drops just before the fireworks, but they didn't disrupt the festivities.

We have an old fashioned July 4th celebration. Due to having to work the museum, I was not able to participate in some of these activities. Although I originally did not plan on carrying on the museum founder's tradition of wearing the 1885 bear coat in the parade, friends Gerald and Jill invited me to ride on their golf cart.

Anyone who wants to be in our parade is allowed. The line up starts at noon with the progression beginning movement around 1:00. This year the line up was longer than I remember.

Here is a shot of some of the parade participants lining up on Brazel Street.  The line up went all the way from Main Street to almost the end of Woodland Park.

Crab Orchard Hunting Camp had their usual crew, headed by Dr. Lee Britton playing with his "friend."

Jill modelled the bear coat.

The Coast Guard always leads the parade.

Here are some shots I took while riding in the golf cart.  The parade was so long this year that the procession took up the entire parade route. 

As I walked around after closing the museum (which had a good day as you would expect), I spotted these kids down the beach playing on the merry-go-round.

I didn't even notice until I was going through my pictures that there is an ore freighter in the background.

Someone living on the south side of the bay had this huge 20 foot high tepee fire.  We used to do the same thing as teens on July 4th every year.

For several years now local contractor, Tim Swift, and his friends "ride on water."  For those of you who have never seen it, snowmobiles when they travel fast enough can actually ride on the surface of water.  Four sleds participated this year.  I didn't have an angle to take a picture of them on the water, but I caught them getting up the speed needed on the beach.  Everyone made it safely.

The fireworks this year were spectacular as always.  Thanks to George Curtis for inviting me to watch the fireworks from his house, which is located on the south side of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment