Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Moose Lake Agate Days -- Post 1

It was quite a haul last week making mineral art for the Moose Lake Show. I worked the museum on Thursday, but closed early since I had to drive the 400 miles to Moose Lake. I pulled in at around 3am eastern time. Overall the weekend went well, although sales were down from previous years. The major reason was the extreme heat. It was well over 100 degrees in the gym with nearly 100 percent humidity. Many people walked in the gym, and walked right back out. Since the extreme heat seems to be the rule, the event organizers are looking into renting portable air conditioners for next year.

This is the 44th year that the Carlton County Gem and Mineral Club has been hosting the show. Although other minerals are sold at the show, too, the main focus is the Lake Superior agate.


My booth is in one of the corners of the gym.  Here is a view from my seat next to the wall looking at the back of my booth.  Notice my new banner.  Thanks to Dave from Grand Rapids for making this as well as a bigger banner.

From my booth I took this picture showing some of the other dealers in the gym.

Agates, agates, and more agates.

Other rocks, too.




This is the largest Crowley Ridge agate (Arkansas) that I have ever seen.  It is a ruin agate since some of the banding broke apart and was re-cemented back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment