Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Log Slide Area Hike -- Post 2

Today I'll post the second set of pictures from the Log Slide area hike that I took the other day.


As I wondered around the lighthouse complex on an early November day, I couldn't help wonder what it must have been like for the lighthouse keeper families.  They must have dreaded the cold November days, especially knowing that winter was coming their way.  I also tried to decide how I would have done if I would have had to live out on Au Sable Point all winter.  Actually, I think I would have done fine.  In fact, if the national park service let me live out there for a winter -- I would do it just for the experience.  Would you?

Here is a photo looking east back at the Grand Sable dunes.


Jacobesville sandstone....



Here are some views from the front porch of one of the lighthouse keeper's homes.



The top of the lighthouse...


More Jacobesville sandstone..



Since the boardwalk on the path was extremely slippery (I even wiped out on the slipper boards, but thankfully did not get hurt), I decided to walk the beach back east as far as I could go.  Here is a picture of some of the sandstone along the shoreline bluff.


Water, sand, and rock...



Artifact -- looks like a cross strapping support from the bottom of a boat.


A shot looking east as I headed back toward the Log Slide. Notice the snow clouds over Grand Marais on the left side of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment