Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sable Dunes Hike -- Post 1

Yesterday was a very gray day, but I decided to go for a hike in the dunes. Since it is rifle deer hunting season right now, I am very careful where I hike. My grandfather was mistakenly killed during deer hunting season when my mother was a child, so I am always a bit nervous when I am out. So I decided to hike out in the open in the Grand Sable dunes.   How about going on another hike with me?

Before climbing up in the dunes, first I took a couple of photos of Sable Lake.  It won't be long before the lake starts to freeze over.  Through Thanksgiving Thursday temperatures are still going to be unseasonably warm in the 50s.  But then the bottom is going to drop out.  On Friday we are expecting cold temperatures, snow, and wind.



The national park installed this new fence to protect the dunes from snowmobiliers.



Up, up, up...



Dune grass close up...


A picture of the highest point in the dunes located northwest of Sable Lake....


Once I got to the top of the first dune, I took this picture of Sable Lake.


Then I started hiking north...



With the alternating freezing and thawing temperatures combined with the wind -- ridges and detail in the sand are created...


I Photoshopped this image...


White birch trees across the way...


Vegetation detail...


A picture of where I had just hiked, looking back toward Sable Lake.


Still heading north...



No comments:

Post a Comment