Monday, March 21, 2011

Super Moon

My first show of the season took place this past weekend in Escanaba. I would like to thank all those who came by my booth to chat, spend time, or buy rocks and mineral art.

On Saturday night after the show was over, I looked up an old friend in the area. Thanks to Eddie and his relatives and friends for a fun time. After leaving their house I headed back to my motel room. As soon as I saw the full moon I remembered about it being the night for the super moon. I am sorry I missed the moon's rising, but at least I was able to get some shots.

The Moon orbits in a giant ellipse around our Earth, where sometimes it's at its closest to us and sometimes it's at its farthest. On Saturday night the moon was closer to the earth than it has been since March of 1993 (at the perigee). The moon was only 221,565 miles from earth, which is 32,434 miles closer or around 13 percent. The farthest the moon is from earth (the apogee) is 254,000. As a result, the moon appeared 30 percent brighter.



First a shot with the lighthouse....



Then I walked over to the beach and took a couple of shots with the trees silhouetted in the foreground. I am not sure what happened with the second shot below. If you look at the trees it appears that I did not move the camera. The light trail off the moon indicates that maybe I did. I am not sure how both can be true in the same photo.




I didn't have my tripod with me, so I sat on the beach in the snow and used by knees as a human tripod. I love the zoom on the camera, but it is impossible to hand-hold the full zoom. The wind was blowing right off the ice so it certainly was cold sitting there, but worth it.




This happy sun was hanging on the wall at my friend's house. I think it is made out of paper mache. It made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment