Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Kauai North Shore

I am back home now after taking yesterday off.  While in Marquette I stay with friends Jim and Helen.  For the second year in a row, Helen and I hiked Hogsback.  I'll include information and photos from the hike in an upcoming blog posting.

Today, I'll continue with the Hawaii photos.  On my last day on Kauai, I drove to the north side of the island and hiked part way down the Napoli trail.

Before checking out of my hotel room, I took a couple more pictures from my balcony.



I then drove counterclockwise around the island to the north shore.  Below are two photos of the volcano cone -- as usual shrouded in clouds.



Below the volcano is a farming community.


A rooster was on the fence in the parking area.

 

As I continued the drive, I stopped at one of the beaches on the east side of Kauai.


 



A solidified lava flow lines the left side of the beach.





The photo below looks south down the beach.


I drove to the end of the road -- which was packed.  There certainly is not enough parking.  I had to drive back down the road around 3/4 of a mile before I found an area that I could legally park along side the road.  I am glad that I did that since on my way back all those who parked in the No Parking Areas had a ticket.

As I walked back to the end of the road, I snapped a few photos.


Basaltic columns line the way....


Plus there are a couple of ancient sea caves.






The beach at the end of the road.




No comments:

Post a Comment