Friday, May 3, 2013

Oahu to Kaui

Yesterday I must admit that I suffered jet lag all day.  Thanks to my friend, Marsha, who picked me up at Detroit Metro Airport at 6:15 in the morning.  My plan was to hang out with Marsha, but I didn't feel well.  I went and slept for a few hours and then spent time with my son and daughter-in-law last night.

Still catching up with the Hawaii trip and photos....

Last Saturday I spent one last morning with friends, Barb and Tom.  We drove and checked out the western side of the island and went out to lunch. 

I took one more photo of the black swans that hang out at the Ko Olina Golf Club, as we departed from the hotel.

 
The photo below is the basaltic lava cliff that juts up to the ocean on the west side of Oahu.
 
 
Mango tree...
 
 
Then Barb and Tom dropped me off at the airport and I headed out on my own to Kauai. It was very sad for me to leave my friends since we had enjoyed a whole week together.  However, it was time for me to continue my Hawaiian adventure.  From my Hawaiian Airlines plane I captured a few pictures from my window seat.

 
One of the bays near the airport....
 
 
A few photos of the south and west shores of Oahu....
 
 
 
 
Pearl Harbor....
 
 
Approaching Kauai..
 
 
Kauaʻi or Kauai, it is the fourth largest of the main islands in the Hawaiian archipelago, and the 21st largest island in the United States.  The island is just slightly smaller than Oahu at 552 square miles (1,430 km2), but only has around 66,000 people.  Just for reference, Oahu is 596.7 square miles (1,545.4 km2),with a population of almost a million people.  Unlike Oahu that formed from two main volcanoes, Kaui formed from just one volcano.
 
 
Using credit card miles, I was able to stay at the Aston Islander and rent a car for free, other than the $15 per day ammenity fee to cover the cost of "free wifi", DVD rentals, and room phone.  This is a new fee system used by many Hawaiian hotels to get just a bit more money from the tourists.
 
Below is the view from my balcony on the third floor and a couple of photos of the shoreline.
 
 
 
 
  
 CITES:
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/Images/kauai-map6.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment